POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My particle system is released : Re: My particle system is released Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:13:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My particle system is released
From: Rune
Date: 22 Oct 2002 12:18:56
Message: <3db57a70@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> But people who don't put these sort of restrictions
> don't seem to suffer from it. I certainly don't.
> So why the extra and unfriendly step ?

Well, how would you like it if people made modified versions of your
images and distributed them beyond your control? I know that images and
include files are not the same thing, but I feel the same way about the
include files I make.

> If everyone acted like this, there would never have
> been a POV-Ray community, and most people - including
> you and me - would never have been acquainted with it.

So if POV-Ray was only free for non-commercial usage, there would be
suddenly no user-base at all? I'm not sure about the correctness of this
assumption.

> Please, use your imagination and think hard about it :
> what if everyone was doing that ? What sort of
> legalese hell would it be ?

No, I still don't see the problem.

I have contributed lots of things to this community that can be used as
anyone pleases. It's only my most complete and finished include files
that go under the terms of use in question. I could never dream about
doing the same for simple advise or for the casual helpful 50 lines of
code here and there.

It wouldn't bother me if all the include files that people make were
only free for non-commercial purposes.

> By requiring them to do it you imply that they're
> dishonest by default. It's like putting "Customers,
> we remind you that you must pay for what you buy"
> signs in a shop.

Such a sign makes sense if there are many other shops that offer free
goods. It's not at all obvious that my include files are not free for
commercial usage, if I don't explicitly write it.

> you hurt yourself because of the lack of exposure you
> need as someone with real 3D skills.

Somehow I doubt that greater exposure of my include files would make
anyone hire me, send me free things, or anything like that.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com (updated Oct 19)